Brydge+/Brydge Instruction Guide
On/Off Switch: To turn on the Brydge+/Brydge, flip the switch on the side next to the micro-USB port. The switch turns blue momentarily when turned on.
- Momentary Blue when turned on
- Blinking Blue when looking to pair with a Bluetooth® device
- Red when needs to charge and when it is charging (turns off when fully charged)
Charging: Plug the micro-USB cable into the micro-USB port on the keyboard. Plug the other end of the cable into a powered USB port on a computer, your device wall charger, or any other USB compatible charger.
Compatibility: Both Brydge+ and Brydge are compatible with the iPad 2, 3rd and 4th generations. Both models come with two sets of rubber shims for the hinges. One set (marked with a 2) fits the iPad 2. The other set (marked with a 3) fits the iPad 3rd and 4th generations. The current set of shims on the Brydge+/Brydge are for iPad 2.
Rubber Shims: Brydge is designed to fit the iPad 2, iPad 3rd and iPad 4th gen. Before inserting your iPad it is important to confirm that the appropriate rubber shims are in place. Currently, the rubber shims designed specifically for the iPad 2 are located on the rotating aluminum hinges. If you are using an iPad 2, position the hinges at the same angle and slide the iPad 2 gently into the shims, which should hold firm.
If you are using an iPad 3rd or iPad 4th gen., then remove the rubber shims currently in place on the device, making sure any sticky residue from them is fully removed from the aluminum hinges. Identify the shims included in the packaging made specifically for the iPad 3rd and 4th gen. Each set of shims is embossed with a small “2” or “3” to indicate which iPad they are meant to be used with. (The shims embossed with a “3” are designed to fit the 3rd and 4th gen iPads)
Before inserting the iPad 3rd/4th gen. shims, peel back and remove the paper backing from the sticky areas on the inside of the shims. Make sure the shims are securely in place on the aluminum hinges before inserting your iPad. Position the hinges at the same angle and slide the iPad 3rd or 4th gen. gently into the shims, which should hold firm.
Hinges: Both Brydge+ and Brydge’s hinges are made out of anodized aluminum and rotate close to 180 degrees. To insert your iPad, make sure you have the proper shims in place. Next, line up the hinges at the same angle, there is a natural resting place at 90 degrees built into the rotation of the hinges recommended for this step. Finally, gently push the iPad down as far as it will go into the hinges. Tip: If your iPad is fully inserted into the hinges, when you close the iPad and Brydge+/Brydge the top of the iPad should line up precisely with the Brydge+/Brydge.
Placement: It is highly recommended that you place your iPad into your Brydge+/Brydge with the volume and mute switches facing up. This will insure that the hinges do not block the iPad's camera and will allow the Brydge to automatically put your iPad to sleep when closed and wake it up when opened.
Note: Brydge uses friction to hold your iPad in place. A reasonable amount of force will dislodge your iPad possibly causing it harm. Brydge LLC advises you to not shake the Brydge or hold the Brydge upside down with your iPad attached. Brydge LLC is not responsible for any damage done to your iPad while in use with Brydge products.
Keyboard Bluetooth Pairing: The Bluetooth® keyboard and speakers should only need to pair to your iPad® once as follows:
- On the keyboard, slide the power switch on. The blue status light should illuminate for several seconds, and then turn off.
- On the iPad® select Settings > General > Bluetooth® > On.
- Press the “Ctrl” and “K” on the Brydge at the same time to make it discoverable. The iPad® should display “Brydge Keyboard” as an available device.
- Select “Brydge Keyboard” on the iPad®. The iPad® will display a unique code.
- Type the code using the keyboard and press enter. The keyboard is now paired to the iPad®.
Note: If the keyboard is inactive for a few minutes the Keyboard Bluetooth® will automatically go into sleep mode turning the Bluetooth® signal off. The Keyboard Bluetooth® will automatically wake up after a key is pressed.
Speakers Bluetooth Pairing: The Bluetooth® speakers should pair to your iPad® as follows:
- To pair the Brydge’s embedded stereo speakers for the first time, hold down the “Ctrl” and “B” buttons on the Brydge until you hear the 4-tone start-up sound. This may take up to four (4) seconds and toggles the speakers on/off.
- Once the speakers are on, make them discoverable by tapping the “Ctrl” and “B” buttons for around one (1) second. Doing so toggles the speakers into paring mode and is indicated by the blue indicator light flashing.
- The iPad® should display “Brydge Speakers” as an available device.
- Select “Brydge Speakers” on the iPad®.
- After a few seconds the speakers will be paired to the iPad®.
- If you would like to disconnect the speakers from the Brydge in order to pair with a different device, you can press the “Ctrl” and “B” buttons for around one (1) second.
- To turn off the speakers, hold down the “Ctrl” and “B” buttons for up to four (4) seconds. You will hear a 4-tone sound to indicate the speakers have turned off.
Note: In order to save battery life the Bluetooth speakers do not automatically pair when the Brydge power is turned on and speakers will automatically turn off if they are disconnected from your iPad for a few minutes.
Hotkeys: Both models contain hotkeys specifically for the iPad. They are listed below.
- Home Displays the iPad® home screen
- Brightness Down Decreases the brightness on the iPad® screen
- Brightness Up Increases the brightness on the iPad® screen
- Keyboard Hide/Show Hides or shows iPad® on-screen keyboard
- Slide-Show Plays a slide-show of saved pictures
- Search Displays the iPad® search screen
- International Keyboard Toggles between international keyboards (if selected in iPad® settings)
- Previous Track Skips to previous track on current playlist
- Play/Pause Starts or stops current playlist
- Next Track Skips to the next track on the current playlist
- Mute Mutes iPad® audio
- Volume Down Decreases iPad® volume
- Volume Up Increases iPad® volume
- Lock Activates and deactivates sleep mode on iPad®
Battery: Both Brydge+ and Brydge use a long-life rechargeable battery that gives you several months of normal use (when not using speakers). The keyboard goes into sleep mode if it’s left on and not being used. Press any key and wait a second or two to bring the keyboard out of sleep mode. The speakers will also go to sleep when left on and not being used. Hold down the “Ctrl” and “B” buttons for up to four (4) seconds to turn the speakers on.